Sunday, January 13, 2019

My True Identity

LEARNING MY TRUE IDENTITY IN CHRIST

The Foundation for a Life Well-Lived - Part 2

Rick Warren

JANUARY 12-13, 2019




1 Peter 2:9-10
“You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.”


GOD’S TRUE VIEW OF YOU: IN CHRIST . . .

1.  
I am completely accepted.  Our deepest wounds come from rejection.  A lot of our behavior is driven by  this need.  

“You have been CHOSEN by God himself!” 1 Peter 2:9 (LB) 

• BECAUSE  

God chose me before everything.  

“He chose us in him before the creation of the world, to be holy and blameless in his sight by his love.” Ephesians 1:4  

• BECAUSE  

Jesus made me acceptable by His death on the cross.  

“Jesus treated us much better than we deserve. He made us acceptable to God and gave us the hope of eternal life.” Titus 3:7 (CEV)  


2.  
I am extremely valuable.  Value depends upon who owns it.  Who do you belong to?  God.  

“You are a HOLY nation, a people BELONGING to God!” 1 Peter 2:9 

“You are a people holy to the Lord your God . . . his treasured possession.” Deuteronomy 7:6 (NIV)  

God says: “You are precious to me.” Isaiah 43:4 (TEV)  

• BECAUSE  

God is my father.  

“Look at the birds . . . God feeds them and you are far more valuable to Him than any birds!” Luke 12:24  

• BECAUSE  

Jesus gave His life for me.  Value is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it.  The Cross proves your value.  

“You have been bought and paid for by Christ, so you belong to him . . .” 1 Corinthians 7:23 (LB) 


3.  
I am eternally loved.  God's love is unconditional.  God's love is consistent.  

“Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God.” 1 Peter 2:10 

“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.” Jeremiah 31:3 (NLT)  

• BECAUSE  

God is love.  We get into trouble when we doubt God's love.  

“God’s love is eternal and his faithfulness lasts forever.” Psalm 100:5 (TEV)  


4.  
I am totally forgiven.   God doesn't carry grudges.  

“At one time you did not know God’s mercy, but now you have received his mercy.” 1 Peter 2:10b (TEV)  

“There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1 

• BECAUSE  

it is God's nature to forgive.  

“I am the God who forgives your sins, and I do this because of who I am. I will not hold your sins against you.” Isaiah 43:25 (TEV) 

• BECAUSE  

Jesus paid for your sins, so you don't have to pay for them.  

“For by the blood of Christ we are set free, that is, our sins are forgiven. How great is the grace of God!” Ephesians 1:7 (TEV)  


5.  
I am fully capable.   I'm not incompetent.  I am fully able of becoming what God made for me to be.  

“You are royal priests . . . chosen to tell about the wonderful acts of God, who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” 1 Peter 2:9 (NCV)  

“The capacity we have comes from God; it is he who made us capable of serving the new covenant . . .” 2 Corinthians 3:5b-6 (TEV)  

• BECAUSE  

Christ lives in me.  How do you reverse a curse?  Start believing what God says about you in the Bible.  

“I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:13  


How should my identity affect how I act?
Rom. 15:7, 1 Pet. 2:17, Col.3:12, Eph. 4:32, Heb. 13:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Space between our Prayers and Praise

 What do we do while we wait for our prayers to be answered?   In Daniel 10:11-13,  Daniel's prayer was answered the first day he prayed...