Sunday, March 17, 2019

RETHINKING THE SIN PROBLEM

DEFINITION: WHAT IS IT?

1. SIN IS  

the opposite of who God is, and what is good.


“Everything God does is good and fair; all his commands can be trusted.” Psalm 111:7 (NCV)  


“It is impossible for God to do anything evil; He cannot sin or do wrong.” Job 34:10 (Mes/NLT)  

2. SIN IS  

the opposite of love.


Jesus: “As sin and evil increase in the world, people’s love will grow cold.” Matthew 24:12 (NCV) 

3. SIN IS ALWAYS  

selfishness. 


“Wherever there is . . . selfishness, you find disorder and every kind of evil sin.” James 3:16 (NCV)  

4. SIN IS ALWAYS  

unbelief in who God is. 


Jesus “(The Holy Spirit will show) that the world’s sin is unbelief in me.” John 16:9 (LB) 


Examples: Anytime I am . . . I show my unbelief in . . . 


Fearful or Anxious

God’s  
promises.



Impatient

God’s perfect timing.


Resentful or Bitter

God’s  
wisdom



Carrying Guilt

God’s  
forgiveness. 



Feeling Inadequate

God’s  
power.



WHAT’S THE PROBLEM WITH SIN?

1. I WAS BORN WITH  

a selfish desire to sin. 


“. . . I feel I am a slave to my sinful desires. Sin masters me. I don’t even under-stand the things I do. I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it! Instead I do the wrong things that I don’t want to do! . . . I can’t help myself because of my sinful nature inside me” . . . It’s a law at work in me that is at war with my mind!Romans 7:14-15, 17, 23 (NCV)  

2. SIN BREAKS  

my fellowship with God. 


“Your sins are the roadblock between you and your God. That’s why he doesn't answer your prayers or let you see his face.” Isaiah 59:2 (CEV)  

3. EVERYTIME I SIN,  

something dies inside of me. 


“Our evil desires make us sin, and when sin is finished with us, it leaves us dead.” James 1:15 (CEV) 

4. MY SIN MAY BE A SECRET BUT  

it's never private.


“You may be sure that your sin will find you out.” Numbers 32:23 (NIV) 

5. SIN  

does long term damage. 
“Don’t deceive yourself: You can’t make a fool out of God! Whatever you plant is what you’ll harvest. If you plant in the soil of your sinful nature, you’ll harvest destruction. But if you plant in the soil of your spiritual nature, you’ll harvest everlasting life!”Galatians 6:7-8 (GW) 

6.  
Disobeying God is neither fun or funny.


“A fool’s fun is in being bad.” Proverbs 10:2 (LB) 


“Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool.” (ESV)  


“Because of your stubbornness in refusing to repent and turn from your sin you are storing up terrible punishment for yourself. For there is going to come a day of judgment when God will judge all people according to what they have done. He will give eternal life to those who seek God . . . but for those who are self-seeking and reject the truth and practice sin, they will face God’s anger.”Romans 2:5-8 (NIV/NLT)  


HOW DO I BREAK FREE?

1. UNDERSTAND  

what Jesus did for me. 


“Jesus personally carried away our sins in his own body on the cross, so we can be dead to sin and live for what is right.” 1 Peter 2:24 (NLT)  


“Although Jesus died on the cross in weakness, he now lives by the mighty power of God. We, too, are weak, but we live in him and have God's power.”2 Corinthians 13:4 (NLT)  

2. LET GOD GIVE ME  

a new nature. 


“Those who have been born again into God’s family will not continue in habitual sin, because God's life is in them now.” 1 John 3:9 (NLT) 


“If you have the Spirit of God living in you, you are controlled by your new nature!” Romans 8:9 (LB)  

3. CHANGE THE WAY  

I think. 


“Jesus died to defeat sin once for all. Now he lives in and for God. In the same way, you should think of yourselves as dead to sin but alive to the power of God in Christ Jesus.”Romans 6:10-11 


Do not let sin control the way you live anymore or do what your sinful nature wants to do. Don’t let any part of your body become a tool of evil used for sinning. Instead, give yourselves completely to God since you have been given new life. Offer your body a tool for doing good for the glory of God.”Romans 6:12-13 (NLT)  

4. CHALLENGE  
the thought
BEHIND EVERY TEMPTATION.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Space between our Prayers and Praise

 What do we do while we wait for our prayers to be answered?   In Daniel 10:11-13,  Daniel's prayer was answered the first day he prayed...